Upgrade from FC5 to FC6

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 20:04:36 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Alan <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > reliable and error recovery/read retry just does not work or has an
> > unacceptable success rate.
>
> Error recovery is done by the drive firmware and by the OS. So if you CD
> keeps failing you might want to check the drive, try burning at a lower
> rate and/or cleaning it.

When it comes to burning Fedora releases I have learned a long time
ago to use the lowest possible burning speed. I still get "unable to
read package xyz" errors in spite of the media passing "media test".
The error typically occurs mid way or further in the installation
process, well after I have stepped away from the machine. "Retry"
seldom succeeds. Rather than waste hours waiting for an installation
which may never finish I find network installs to be a more reliable
option..