IMP and FC6 System

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 2 04:24:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 09:42 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > > You mean Horde/IMP (the webmail service)?  If so, just install the
> > > squirrelmail RPMs.  It's danged near the same thing (even based on the
> > > same code base, I believe).
> >
> > Q: Hey, I want a pizza!
> > A: Just get a sandwich, they're both basically bread.
> >
> > P.D.: I hope the irony is understood.
>
> Yeah, I get it.  Have you ever configured Horde/IMP?  I haven't in a
> while, but it would've caused a newbies brain to explode.  It appeared
> he didn't want the whole Horde menagerie (turba, kronolith, nag, etc.),
> just IMP (webmail).  For a newbie, squirrelmail will do the job very
> nicely and is pretty easy to configure.
----
I think you are doing a severe disservice to Horde/IMP.

If all you want is web driven IMAP service for your users, squirrelmail
is easier.

Horde/IMP/et al. is far more ambitious in that it provides a robust
groupware package when properly integrated with SQL/Cyrus/LDAP/Sieve
provides workgroup shared e-mail (with quotas), shared calendars (with
free-busy), shared contacts (including write ability with LDAP),
integrated and live server based filtering including vacation type
notification, shared task lists, shared notes and an integrated wiki.

But yes, it also does web mail similar to squirrelmail.

The fact that they have abstracted the SQL backend so you can use the
SQL server of your choice, that they have abstracted the contacts system
so that you can use LDAP or SQL (or both) for address books, that they
have abstracted the cyrus administration system to the point where users
can administer the permissions on their own mailboxes does carry with it
some amount of complexity of configuration.

Craig