Firfox long startup solution

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Mar 3 00:30:02 UTC 2007

I recall a recent thread complaining that after the recent update, Fx was
slow to load the first time.  I can't find it just now, though, so I can't
connect this back to that thread.  But...

After the change in version, Firefox libs are no longer preloaded by
readahead, because the directory listing in /etc/readahead.d/default.later
is the wrong version.  This is an interaction between the readahead RPM
and the Fx RPM.  The solution is to change references to
/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.9 to /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.10 in default.later.

The real solution is to have readahead.d files packaged with the program
RPMs (or at least have the firefox RPM update default.later), but I don't
know the details of how that would work.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu