Can't get NetworkManager to configure ntp

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Mar 4 01:12:46 UTC 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht writes:

> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
>> Since this is a laptop with wireless, I need NetworkManager.
>
> My laptop is quite happy without NetworkManager.  I have
> wpa_supplicant do the wifi wpa2 nonsense and that works out just fine.

I hear you.

Sadly, past experience taught me that NetworkManager is the Wave Of The
Future™; and all alternative ways of getting things done will, very likely,
stop working at some time in the future.

After some hacking, it looks like dhclient-script is simply not used at all,
when NetworkManager is running the shows.  When invoked from NetworkManager
(via dbus), dhc_dbus is a hardcoded constant 31.  So, the first two nested
if statements in dhclient-script end up sending the new interface
configuration parameters via dbus again, and the script immediately
terminates.  It looks like NetworkManager is the intended receiver.

And it looks like that NetworkManager, as of now, does not support the
"ntp-servers" and other DHCP parameters.  Of course, I have to figure it out
by staring at the code.  I could not find any useful documentation to help
me figure this out.

So, rather than letting dhclient-script handle things that are not yet
implemented in NetworkManager (which appears to be the purpose of the
dhc_dbus variable), everything gets simply turned off, and NetworkManager
just ends up doing the few bits it knows how to do, and drops everything
else on the floor (even though dhclient-script could've easily handled it).

That makes sense.

Not.