mail program for FC6

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 17:23:00 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> Not everyone has a public IP address with suitable DNS handling for
>> every machine where they might want to read their email.
> That is certainly a problem. And now that I am using sbc mail I ahve to
> use pop or imap; that is true.

Using imap has advantages even if you don't have to.  You can read your
mail from multiple locations - or even use a webmail wrapper from
machines that don't have a mailer installed and always have access to
the same messages and folders.  You can move the messages to any other
account with imap without worrying about conversion programs.

>>  > Your
>>> machine can be directly accessible. And mutt is  a mailer that handle
>>> threaded - sorted mail messages properly where programs like evolution
>>> can't.
>> What do you mean by 'properly'?  This works for me:
>> http://www.novell.com/documentation/evolution24/index.html?page=/documentation/evolution24/evolution24/data/usage-mail-getnsend-read.html,
>>   although I've been using thunderbird more lately, which also does
>> threads but is a little slower to switch back and forth between
>> threaded/unthreaded views and I usually view sorted by timestamp and
>> switch to threaded only when I've forgotten the  earlier part of the
>> conversation.
> Let us be clear what I am saying does not work. You want your mail
> threaded as well as sorted in ascending order. Now you read the mail
> message in a threaded mail list. The next item in the threaded list
> happens to have been received after the mail message that follows the
> threaded mail group. In evolution you jump to the next message but now
> it appears where it would in date order. This is very annoying.
>
> What do you do to deal with this annoyance?

I always read mail sorted by timestamp, newest first, so I don't bother
responding to things that have already been answered, then I flip to the
threaded view if someone didn't quote enough context and I need to
backtrack in the conversation. Evolution handles this nicely with ctl-T
(easier than thunderbird which doesn't have a hotkey) and I've never
noticed a problem with the time order when backtracking. If it is a
problem, I just never saw it.  The only thing I care about enough to be
annoyed is that hitting delete should advance the view to the next
message automatically, and both evolution and thunderbird get this right.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com