Can't get NetworkManager to configure ntp

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Mar 4 20:34:07 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam writes:

> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 04:19 +1030, Tim wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 08:38 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> > I thought a laptop is a machine you can move to different place and
>> > therefore different networks.
>>
>> Not everybody does that.  Some just use theirs around different spots on
>> the same premises.
>>
> You know sometimes we spend a lot of time denying the obvious. A laptop
> is designed to move around. So if the OP found himself in a hotel in
> another city with his laptop he would have to access a different
> network. The case of moving the laptop around in the same network
> certainly is possible but I would assume be a rare case and can be
> removed from any general discussion.
>
> Unless, of course, one is committed to argumentation.

Yes, this is getting off the subject.  The real issue here is:

1) NetworkManager does not implement a good chunk of the configuration
functionality available via DHCP.  From what I can see, it ignores
ntp-servers, domain-name, and host-name.  The only thing it does,
apparently, is set the IP address, the subnet mask, the routing table, and
generate /etc/resolv.conf.

2) Even though dhclient-script is perfectly capable of handling the
remaining DHCP options that NetworkManager does not yet implement, it is
prevented from doing so.  I cannot see any good reason for that.

3) None of the above is documented anywhere.  It would've saved me a great
deal of trouble if some README somewhere simply told me: yes, NetworkManager
does not implement X and Y.

The only reason I haven't filed a bug in Bugzilla is because I'm really only
about 70% sure of the above, based on the snippets of code I looked at so
far, and I've hacked around this mess using NetworkManagerDispatcher.  I
don't like to file bugs in Bugzilla only to get a NOTABUG (it's implemented,
but you don't know the magic incantation for finding the documentation how
to set it up).