Digital display with NVidia card?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Mar 4 23:27:11 UTC 2007

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I have an NVidia FX 5500 and just scrounged up a Samsung SyncMaster 930B
> LCD monitor.  I thought I'd try using the digital output of the card,
> but I'm having some issues:
>
> (1) The VCs don't display during startup.
>
> (2) The X server comes up displaying 800x600.  I don't seem to be able
> to change it using system-confog-display.  I can select 1280x1024, but
> when I log out, I get a message on the display about non-optimal mode
> and when the X server starts, it's in 800x600 again.
>
> The bahavior is the same whether I use the nv driver or the binary
> nividia driver.
>
> How can I solve these issues?  Or am I stuck with analog mode?
>
> TIA.

You may be running into the same problem I did with my ViewSonic
VA912b before the X upgrades. The setup program was not using the
correct information for the monitor, so I had to manually set the
monitor in the configuration to a generic 1280x1024 monitor before
setting the resulation, or it would be stuck at 800x600 instead of
1280x1024. I had the problem with both the analog and digit
connections to the monitor.

I have not checked to see if your monitor is one of hte listed
monitors. My monitor was not listed.

Mikkel