We need a new subject- bug fixes

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 03:55:57 UTC 2007

Todd Zullinger wrote:

>> Sorry, Rahul, I have to disagree with you there.  It is not
>> trivially easy for normal human beings to change anything in
>> sendmail.
>
> Setting up sendmail to receive mail from the internet isn't meant for
> normal human beings.

You mean unlike trivial things like building a working kernel, or
configuring ssh securely, or getting cups to print, or installing a DNS
server?

> It's something that competent system
> administrators do and for those people it is trivial.

Those other things I mentioned are also trivial for the few dozen people
that do them all the time.  The rest of us don't have to deal with it
because it works as distributed.

 > The only thing
> simpler is noting that sendmail's configuration is utterly confusing
> while perusing the documentation and then switching to postfix or some
> other MTA.  But I digress...

That wouldn't be necessary if the distribution supplied a way to
activate a working configuration as it does for other services.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com