We need a new subject- bug fixes

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Tue Mar 6 13:54:51 UTC 2007

Around 01:46pm on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 (UK time), Les Mikesell scrawled:

> > Most people receive theirs through their ISP, most
> >people would have no clue as to how to set up an SMTP server, even less
> >about doing so safely.
>
> And odds are that it is running on Linux and probably on an RH based
> distro.

Then clearly the ISPs are chosing to use RH's "crippled" sendmail, over
the many alternatives acaialble, so it can't be that bad then.

> >If most users had to set up an SMTP server, we know what would happen:
> >They'd be set to accept mail from all domains, and relay to all, as it'd
> >be too hard to work out how to do it otherwise.
>
> This is precisely why a usable configuration should be supplied, so the
> users don't make such mistakes.  Exactly the same is true for samba,
> ftp, sshd, and most other services.  If someone has to set any of these
> up from scratch they are going to make mistakes the first time and have
> an insecure system.

Do you actually have any evidence that the configuration supplied is
causing users to make mistakes and set up mail servers that do act as
spam relays?  Or is it all just a pet theory?

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 13:50:55 up 19 days, 16:14,  1 user,  load average: 0.17, 0.07, 0.04