FC6 httpd Alias/symbolic link

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 6 15:56:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 03:59 -0500, linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
> I have read this several times and it just is not working
> for me.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/public_html.html
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_userdir.html#userdir
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_alias.html#alias
>
> The text below came from the Apache manual on my local box
>
> The Alias directive allows documents to be stored in the
> local filesystem other than under the DocumentRoot. URLs
> with a (%-decoded) path beginning with url-path will be
> mapped to local files beginning with directory-path.
>
> What does the second sentence above mean?

It might help if you gave us the URI for where that sentence came from,
but it sounds like one of the techniques used for mass virtual hosting
without lots of individual configurations per host.  Apache can take the
domain name of the request, and use it as the root document directory
for that domain.

e.g. It could map requests for <http://example.com/something.html> and
<http://example.net/else.html> to get their files from
"/var/www/example.com/something.html" and "/var/www/example.net/else.html"

>  # cd /; ln -s / public_html
> Accessing http://localhost/~root/
>
> This would allow clients to walk through the entire filesystem.

Not a good idea of something to try.  Though "~/root" would try to use
the root user's homespace, which isn't / but /root.  And that sort of
thing probably won't work as you'd expect if you have SELinux enabled,
as HTML serveable files have to have the right contexts.

It might help if you give a good description of what you're wanting to
do.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.