[SOLVED] FC6 httpd Alias/symbolic link

linuxmaillists at charter.net linuxmaillists at charter.net
Wed Mar 7 04:53:40 UTC 2007

linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
> > Well I had it working very nicely but it stopped write
> > after doing an update.
> >
> > This is how I set up httpd.conf
> >
> > <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
> >     #
> >     # UserDir is disabled by default since it can
> > confirm the presence # of a username on the system
> > (depending on home directory # permissions).
> >     #
> >     UserDir "disable"
> >     #
> >     # To enable requests to /~user/ to serve the user's
> > public_html # directory, use this directive instead of
> > "UserDir disable": #
> >     UserDir public_html
> > </IfModule>
> >
> > It would open with this in the address bar
> > http://localhost/public_html/
> > and show my files.  now it has a 404 not found error
>
> Which technique did you use?  Userdirs, or a custom
> alias?  Above looks like you used the second.  But you
> haven't shown us anything else that you've changed for
> your customisations, this time.  It might be worth
> posting the whole config file, without anything private
> included.  By the way, if you're disabling userdirs,
> write disable without the quotes around it.
>
> If you used userdirs, then your URL should be along the
> lines of <http://example.com/~username/>.  But if you'd
> made an alias, then you'd use something like
> <http://example.com/aliasname/>.

It turns out this is what I was using and when I put it back
in this condition it started working again.

Alias /public_html "/home/user_name/public_html"

I had commited it out thinking UsrDir public_html was what
was working.

Maybe I will play around later and see if I can figure out
how to make the UsrDir public_html work.