FTP Issues - Help.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 7 18:02:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 07:03 -0500, Ferguson, Michael wrote:
> Thanks.
> I am not running iptables on the RHES box as it is on the LAM inside
> the firewall and no need for access from the outside.
> The ftp server is clearly working as I can get to it through WS_FTP
> Pro but NOT the command line. Any other ideas?

There are known issues with some Windows FTP clients and vsftpd.  The
primary issue is that the Windows clients exhibiting the problems do not
adhere to the RFCs fully (what a shocker!) and the login handshake is
unsuccessful as far as Windows is concerned.

WU-FTP and ProFTPD does seem to work with these broken Winblows clients.
Both are open source and available for Linux.  Google for them.

> Thanks

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer          rstevens at vitalstream.com -
-    If Windows isn't a virus, then it sure as hell is a carrier!    -