PS/2 peripherals

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 18:18:25 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:51 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Our crash carts use USB keyboards and mice along with the USB-PS/2
>> adapters that come with them.
>
> *Some* of those PS/2 to USB plug adaptors will only work with dual
> purpose keyboards or mice.  They don't have any signal adaptor circuitry
> in them, they just connect pins between the sockets.  You'd need a
> special adaptor if you wanted it to be able to connect any keyboard or
> mouse to a USB port.
>
> All the ones that I've got are like that.

I just replaced some old servers at a colo site with IBM 3550's with no
  PS/2 connectors and found that the usb adapter we used works with an
old keyboard/mouse connected directly but did not work with the KVM that
was there.  This particular kvm won't let you select a port without a
computer connected so we had to leave the adapters connected to even be
able to view the monitor output as they booted up.  Fortunately the
machines had been pre-configured and subsequent management will bed done
over the network anyway so it won't matter too much.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com