Use tar to append?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Mar 9 16:25:59 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:

> I wrote
>>
>>> (2) It requires learning how to use Yet Another Package when
>>> I'm not interested in making my OS be a hobby.
>>

>> Yes, a personal choice.
>
> Well, that should end it, then. De gustibus non
> disputandum est. Why are you arguing?

What in "insert deity here" makes you think I am arguing?

>> Yeah, that's the problem with open source software.  It makes it so
>> hard to move to a different platform.  :-)
>
> I don't want to do builds and installs of stuff. I DID mention I didn't
> want my OS to become a hobby.

Well, it seems like it is already your hobby.

>> BTW, it doesn't use "other than standard tools".  It uses either
>> native dump and/or GNU tar.
>
> Amanda is not Standard.

If you say so....

>> Because use of amanda makes a nice way to do backups and takes care of
>
> Define "nice way". Again, this is my personal choice. I gave
> you the reasons I made it. So, let it drop.

Ahhh.... I did.  You brought it up again.

>> all problems one may encounter trying to maintain their own set of
>
> NOTHING takes care of "all problems".

Right, not even the the scripts you are running or producing.

>> tools/scripts.  Thought you may want to give it a try.  You don't have
>> to. Just a suggestion.  Have fun hacking at tar and gzip.
>
> I have a system which has worked fine for me. I'd like to tweak
> it. I don't want to learn a whole system.

Define "whole system".  Or maybe you mean "hole system"?

> You gonna do a port of amanda to my next OS?

And what is your next OS going to be, MSDOS?

--
A can of ASPARAGUS, 73 pigeons, some LIVE ammo, and a FROZEN DAIQUIRI!!