Cannot log in user on new FC6 install

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 17:25:56 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thanks, Mark. I think that [k]Ubuntu user uid's starting with 1000,
> whereas RH uses uid's starting with 500. So wha you say sounds
> logical. As I intend on staying with FC, I'd like to keep the uid 500.
> How can I change the uid in /home to 500? Is it a simple "chown 500
> /home/user"? I'm asking before I try to prevent myself from doing
> damage.

For what it's worth, I did a similar move eighteen months ago, but
merely vipw'ed and vigr'ed the appropriate files so my uid was 1000. I
think I modified /etc/login.defs so other user accounts started above
1000.

As one might expect, I haven't noticed any problems since then. In fact,
I'd almost forgotten that I'd done it.

(I kept my Ubuntu install for a while -- keeping uids the same meant
that I could at least do a text-mode login to Ubuntu occasionally and
share home directories.)

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | "But alas, we don't need a car, so I have a bus timetable
aprilcottage.co.uk | and one day the buses will read it too."