Can't start SWAT on my FC6 box

Brian Clark brian+nevdull at unwell.org
Sat Mar 10 17:53:59 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:39:02AM -0600, Tom Gederberg wrote:

> Hello,

> I installed Samba (see below), edited the /etc/xinetd.d/swat file as
> follows:
>    service swat
>    {
>       	port		= 901
> 	socket_type	= stream
> 	wait 		= no
> 	only_from 	= 127.0.0.1
> 	user		= root
> 	server		= /usr/sbin/swat
> 	log_on_failure	+= USERID
> 	disable		= no
>    }
> and restarted the xinetd daemon (/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart).
> However when I try to connect to http://localhost:901 using Mozilla, it
> says that it is unable to connect.  Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Is the firewall on?

If so, it's possible that netfilter is blocking access. Edit
/etc/sysconfig/iptables and add:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 901 -j ACCEPT

Before the line:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Then edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config and make sure this says yes
instead of no:

IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_RESTART="yes"

Then issue `service iptables restart`

Double check the rule is in place:

iptables -L | grep 901

All of the above should be done as root.

If that ends up working, you might adjust the rule you put in place to
use -s your.local.ip.address so that it's not open to the world.

--
Brian Clark