Curious Sunday Morning Linux File System Question ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Mar 11 15:13:18 UTC 2007

Hi All;

Just did some changes in my ~/.* ( dot files ) and started wondering why
Linux uses dot files for its 'user' data.  Its a small annoyance to have
to specify .* each time I use them.  The annoyance is primarily not
because it's difficult but because it is odd -- different from anything
else and data files get mixed (kinda) with my working documents.  Why
not just have a standard additional directory for 'config', or whatever
name, to hold all the user application type data.  Is the reason
historical or is there a pragmatic purpose?

I am not a complete newbie.  After 2 1/2 years of using Linux I am kind
of a 'gubie' or 'newru'.  (Newbie on the way to becoming a guru).  So if
you have an explanation that involves more than newbie baby talk, I can
handle it.

--
Regards Bill