Where is my Logwatch gone?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Mar 11 17:16:45 UTC 2007

oldman wrote:
>     I recently purchased a router, got it all set up most everything
> still works, but I do not get the daily logwatch message any longer on
> either my own log-in nor on root's.  I do get this spurious smart
> error message so the mail system is working, the aliases file is correct.
>
>     I did also change the localhost.localdomain via
> system-config-network and the smart message that I get indicates the
> hostname is the name I added.  I seem to have the same problem on FC6
> and Rawhide, so I'm pretty sure it's something I didn't know about.

A bit more information would help. Where are root's messages
supposed to go? Is the host listed in /etc/hosts? What mail server
are you running, and does it know it is supposed to deliver mail for
that address locally?

If you are using DHCP to configure your netowrk interface, then it
may be that the mail server is trying to look up the hostname to
send mail to using the name server(s) supplied by the router.

Mikkel