F-Spot

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 20:48:30 UTC 2007

On 11/03/07, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> > Yes, if you want your system to become a hybrid of rawhide and FC6, yeah,
> > you can do it. How do you feel about reinstalling from scratch, after your
> > system gets really strange?
>
> I'd say that's a bit extreme. Installing the occasional package from
> development doesn't create a hybrid of rawhide and FC6. It's like saying that
> installing the occasional package from source is creating a hybrid of Fedora
> Core and the Wild West.

I also thought that was a bit extreme. At my low experience level,
though, I play it safe and trust The List.

> Dotan: Just go into /etc/yum.repos.d and find your fedora-development and
> fedora-development-extras repo files - edit them as root to enable them. Do a
> yum install of the package you want from rawhide, then re-edit the
> development repos to disable them. Better, use the yum enablerepo option (man
> yum). Even easier, if you use Yumex or Smart or Kyum, you can enable and
> disable repos with a couple of mouse-clicks, do a refresh of your package
> cache, and install your package - all the above will pull the package in from
> development along with any dependencies. Use proper caution - read your
> screens! If some package wants to update 50 other packages for dependency
> reasons, back off. With some basic common sense and due diligence, it's
> fairly easy to pull in packages from rawhide that you're particularly
> insterested in - there's always the possibility of issues with Fedora because
> of it's cutting edge, and you increase the probabilities by using rawhide,
> but trashing things so badly you have to re-install from scratch is not the
> bogeyman it's sometimes portrayed as - can it happen? yes - does it happen
> often? no, not if you practice common sense... What does happen is that
> people enable rawhide repos to install a package, and forget to disable them
> before running the next yum update - I've seen several posts over the past
> years about people doing this - I did it once, but, when the update pulled in
> 300+ packages to be updated and asked for confirmation, my red flag went up.
> Of course, if you run automatic yum updates with the no confirmation option
> turned on then walk on eggs....

If I see it's updating obviously unrelated things I won't approve the
update. I know for a long time now to READ all updates, and to never
let them be performed automatically. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/156/destiny_s_child.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/microsoft.html