Daylight Saving Time (DST)

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Mar 12 15:05:56 UTC 2007

Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:44:33AM -0700, jdow wrote:
> > So in the spirit of being a nice woman I figured I'd pass along what I did
> > to update an FC4 installation I have not had time to move upwards to
> > something that'll crash more often because it's newer. (I am NOT happy
> > with FC5 on my laptop.)
>

> Sounds like Fedora isn't the distribution for you. You should check out
> CentOS (specifically, the upcoming CentOS 5), which is ultimately derived
> from Fedora but with a much longer lifespan for each release. (Years instead
> of months.)
I initially ran FC4 on my laptop (HP Pavilion zv6015) with no problems
once I got it installed (install needed "nofb" or the display died
during the install).  I skipped FC5 and went to FC6 when FC4 went to
legacy support/unsupported.  FC6 on the laptop is stable as long as I
don't activate the wireless NIC.  If I do, I get a kernel panic within
24 hours of turning on the wireless.  I don't use the wireless very
frequently so trying bcm43xx instead of ndiswrapper hasn't made it to
the top of my "to do" list. YMMV.

I'm planning on moving to CentOS 5 once it's released.  My server
running CentOS 4.X has been stable as a rock.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce