Yet another FC install: kernel panic after boot from DVD

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 12 20:43:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 15:32 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 22:29 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > is

> > from
> > Kubuntu
> > from
> > attached at

> > post

> > > I assume there is no panic when you boot these disks on another
> > machine.
> > > Yes?
> >
> > Right. I should have mentioned that the FC6 DVD had installed on 2
> > machines already and the Kubuntu on maybe 3 or 4. SLAX sees some use.
> >
> The truth is I don't really understand what you are claiming you did.
> Are you saying when you trying to install FC6 from an install DVD you
> get a kernel panic? When does this happen ? Before your get the initial
> screen which allows you to install in graphics mode or text mode, etc?
> Or is it after it starts the install?

Those sure look like SMP issues to me.  Without knowing which mobo or
processor you're using, I see trying three things:

1. See if there's a BIOS update for your machine's mobo and install it
if so.  Try installing again.

2. Try installing in UP mode ("nosmp") and see if that works.

3. If 2 works, try installing in SMP, but turn off the APIC ("noapic")
and see if it'll install.

If none of that works, write back and tell us what processor and mobo
you're using.
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer          rstevens at vitalstream.com -
-               Duct Tape + Magic Marker = Label Maker!              -