Unable to access resume device (LABEL=swap - hda2)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 13 02:37:20 UTC 2007

PLEASE *SEPARATE* your replies from quoted messages.  It's hard to read
when you run your reply into the middle of the quoted text.  Leave a
blank line between them.

Tim:
>> That's your system trying to see if you'd hibernated your system
>> (which would dump RAM contents to the swap space, to be restored
>> when powering up again).  If you hadn't hibernated your system
>> there wouldn't be any resuming information to find.

George Hare:
> Sounds perfectly logical, where do you find out things like this ?

Reading this list is one place.  I don't recall where I found out about
how the hibernating did its trick, it was too long ago.  Though
observing what my PC does while booting up, after using hibernation, and
not, you can work these things out for yourself.  It might be worth
looking at the mkswap man file, but I'm not using FC6, at the moment, to
see if it's been updated with this information.

> Everything is on hda1 and the swap is on hda2, if that matters.

If that's a partition, then an entry like the following in your fstab
file should let you use it as your swap space:

/dev/hda2         swap          swap    defaults        0 0

>> If the problems down to it not finding your swap partition because it
>> can't read the label it's expecting, you can use the old-style
>> /dev/hda mount points

> (How is this done?)

As I've shown above, *instead* of something like:

LABEL=SWAP-hda2  swap          swap    defaults        0 0

"Comment out" any other swap lines, and just try one at a time.

> There was a garphical tool like Parted, can't remember, but now it is
> gone. Should I put my disk in to get to the partitioning section
> again...I know nothing about fstab stuff.

No.  Partitioning tools are about setting up a disc, they won't prepare
fstab for you at the same time, unless they offer that as an *extra*
feature.  You only need to that once.  Your /etc/fstab file deals with
mounting those partitions (amongst other things it can do).  You can
change that as, and when, needed.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.