DVD frustration - new observation

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 13 17:50:47 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 13:08 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Thinking about what you said, I realised that you may be testing with
> > commercially burned disks, while I was testing with home-burned disks.
> > To my surprise xine opened an old commercially burned disk without a
> > problem (old, non-encrypted - I haven't tried an encrypted one).  That
> > leads me to wonder whether these latest versions of video-players are
> > actually looking for something that is present in a commercially burned
> > disk but not in one created by dvdauthor.
>
> There's a number of variables:  Stand-alone DVD players are often quite
> tolerant of nonsense on discs, and also quite intolerant of other
> things.  Stand-alone DVD recorders usually do not record in a standard
> DVD-Video manner.  Computer burnt discs may be burnt incorrectly (wrong
> file system, multiple file systems with poor file naming choices in one
> of them, discs should contain upper-case AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
> directories, with all upper-case filenames inside them, the first file
> to be played should be the first file actually written to the disc).
> Both stand-alone and computer burnt discs may create playback problems
> with multi-session recordings.  Computers playing DVDs may mount discs
> incorrectly if they have multiple formats on them (Joliet shouldn't be
> used, ISO-9660 can be used, UDF should be used).

Not disputing any of that, but remember that I use a standard methodology for
mastering and burning, and the results have always been fine.  Whether I burn
on the computer from my own masterings or on the stand-alone player/burner
from input, I always check the result on the 'other'.  Until recently they
were fine.

I'm convinced that a recent upgrade to something - maybe a libs package - has
upset the applecart.

Anne