Unable to access resume device (LABEL=swap - hda2)

George Hare hare.george at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 02:47:07 UTC 2007

> > PLEASE *SEPARATE* your replies from quoted messages.  It's hard to read
> > when you run your reply into the middle of the quoted text.  Leave a
> > blank line between them.
>

> Sorry, will try to be more attetive in the future.
>
> Tim:
> >
> > George Hare:
> > > Sounds perfectly logical, where do you find out things like this ?
> >
> > Reading this list is one place.  I don't recall where I found out about
> > how the hibernating did its trick, it was too long ago.  Though
> > observing what my PC does while booting up, after using hibernation, and
> > not, you can work these things out for yourself.  It might be worth
> > looking at the mkswap man file, but I'm not using FC6, at the moment, to
> > see if it's been updated with this information.
> >
> > > Everything is on hda1 and the swap is on hda2, if that matters.
> >
> > If that's a partition, then an entry like the following in your fstab
> > file should let you use it as your swap space:
> >
> > /dev/hda2         swap          swap    defaults        0 0

> > > (How is this done?)
> >
> > As I've shown above, *instead* of something like:
> >
> > LABEL=SWAP-hda2  swap          swap    defaults        0 0
> >
> > "Comment out" any other swap lines, and just try one at a time.
> >
> > > There was a garphical tool like Parted, can't remember, but now it is
> > > gone. Should I put my disk in to get to the partitioning section
> > > again...I know nothing about fstab stuff.
> >
> > Here are the contents of my fstab:
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> LABEL=SWAP-hda2         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Sorry for answering myself here, but things are a little hectic and I
have MS which is eating my brain and I get overloaded with just waking
up sometimes. I don't know why, but Linux motivates me.
I got the GUI parted and checked out the swap info and it says active.
Short time ago, I was playing with the swapiness (sp?) commands and
currently run at 10; which was supposed to give a performance boost.
No go. My box has been getting slower and slower and I even added
3Mbps from my ISP service and I think it is still getting slower. I am
considering wiping the drive and trying Centos or something like it
that sounds a little more stable...I'm getting a little tired. If I
can keep 6 on here or put 7 on also, I'd do it, but I have a hard time
dualbooting with Fedora (Remember Old Man :)). Who knows tomorrow is
another day. A big thanks for the suggestions and manners
corrections...I hate it when others do it and I want to be corrected
when I do it. Thanks and make some OS suggestions please.

George Hare