Swap=LABEL, something or other

George Hare hare.george at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:08:13 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 22:47 -0400, George Hare wrote:
> > I got the GUI parted and checked out the swap info and it says active.
>
> Not familar with that, but there's ways to tell if swap is on.  There's
> several commands related to swap, you can find them using the apropos
> command.
>
> [tim at serge ~]$ apropos swap

Try apropos parted. You'll be more familiar with it. If Parted told me
swap is active, several commands to beat the same dead horse would be
superfluous.

> > Short time ago, I was playing with the swapiness (sp?) commands and
> > currently run at 10; which was supposed to give a performance boost.
> > No go. My box has been getting slower and slower
>
> I've never played with that.  I'd only do so if you had special needs
> for it, and were familiar with how swap worked.

Well as my machine performs more and more slowly with boot messages
about swap, I'd consider that a special need and the familiarity came
from http://www.linuxjournal.com/comment/reply/8308.

> > and I even added 3Mbps from my ISP service and I think it is still
> > getting slower.
>
> I have no idea what that's supposed to do with swap.

Absolutely nothing. But it can have an impact on performance. Place
several poorly configured applications and settings together and they
will, in concert, conspire to kill performance.

> > I am considering wiping the drive and trying Centos or something like
> > it that sounds a little more stable.
>
> You're the first I've come across having problems with swap.  I'm more
> inclined to believe that it's a setup issue.

Good possibility you are right. As MS eats the fatty tissue covering
the nerve cells in my Cervical spine and brain, loading an OS 5 or 6
times is unfortunately my Friday or Saturday night out...Oh, well.
Besides astronomy and photography will kick in now that the weather is
becoming so nice.