gspcav1 driver problems

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Mar 14 23:51:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 10:15:39PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >
> > The kernel module projects are split in two packages:
> >
> > a) "gspcav1" containing everything that is not kernel version
> >    specific, e.g. docs, binaries under /usr, libs etc.
> >
> > b) "gspcav1-kmdl-<kernel version>" for each kernel package which
> >    contains the kernel module(s) for that explicit kernel

> I'm still confused - sorry :-(  So did the "gspcav1-kmdl-<kernel version>"
> pull in the "gspcav1" part, or was it already there?  I thought it was
> uninstalled when the kernel was installed, and I didn't see it mentioned in
> the re-install.

The "gspcav1" doesn't need upgrading just because the kernel version
changed, it remains the same for all kernel version. The only reason
"gspcav1" would change would be an update of its own sources or a fix
in the package.

Also "gspcav1" pulls in the kmdl, the kmdl itself can and does work
w/o the userland part. Just like a kernel module for a sound card works
w/o you needing to install the sound utilities as well.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net