Fedora - DELL ?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Mar 15 04:01:09 UTC 2007

Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> Because of the self-flagellating ideological crusade adopted by
> Fedora, they are now second fiddle to Ubuntu.  ESR has been telling
> them that for many moons now.

ESR says a lot of things, but that doesn't make them true.

> The primary function of an operating system is to serve the user;
> thru greater technical merit, and not to pick a religion for the
> user.  Whenever an operating system devolves from that former
> purpose, it basically removes itself from the domain of the user.
> That's what's happening to Fedora now, because of the Alan Cox's and
> the Greg KH's and the Andrew Mortons of the world.

Yes, damn those bastards for working on the excellent OS I have right
now and not even demanding a dime from me for their work.  (I'll get
you for that yet Alan Cox!)

> The Ubuntu guys realize that programmers have the right to license
> their code however they please, and that it's not the purpose or
> stated goal of the OS to dictate code licensing choice.

Who is dictating license choice for you?  If you want non-free code,
you may choose to get it from any number of sources.  Dictating would
be telling the folks that work on Fedora that they must include
software that is licensed in ways that conflict with their views and
quite often are not legal to distribute.

> The purpose of the OS is to run user programs, and not to force use
> of it's developer's favorite licenses.

Right.  Developer's should have no say at all in how the code that
makes up the system they work on is licensed.  They need to realize
that they were put on this earth to serve users.

> Ideology is the _user's_ domain, not the OS's.  That's why Ubuntu
> will continue to clean Fedora's clock.

And by similar logic why MS will continue to clean Linux's clock.
Except for the fact that the open nature of linux and other free
software has already significantly altered the software market.
(Whether linux becomes dominant on the desktop anytime soon isn't
something I spend any time worrying about.)

Sorry Lyvim, but this is all pure crap.  And it's been beaten to death
here more times than Jason has.  Take it elsewhere please (perhaps
there's an Ubuntu forum for such stuff).

It's not denial. I'm just very selective about what I accept as
reality.
    -- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes")