iptables help

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Thu Mar 15 04:46:12 UTC 2007

Jerry Roy wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I catually have 2 issues.

I would say three - the third being your signature with all the HTML
crap and logos.  Please don't post that garbage to this list?  Not all
of us are on broadband and all the cruft takes forever to load.

> 1) I have a FedCore 5 server running and it keeps locking up at random.
> I believe it may be certain types of scans from the internet that are
> causing this issue.

That is *highly* unlikely.

 > Can anyone recommend the best way to go about
> troubleshooting this issue?

I would recommend you boot off the install or rescue CD with the command
line:

memtest86

You more than likely have a hardware issue, specifically memory.

> 2) I have an acl in IPtables that keeps disappearing after I do a reload
> after a lockup. I am using iptables–save but it never seems to save the
> line and I have to re-add manually every time. Any idea’s?

Yes, instead of using iptables-save, do "service iptables save" as root,
this will save your running rules in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.

Thomas