Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Mar 16 23:17:54 UTC 2007

taharka wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 12:38 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I downloaded and burnt the Fedora-7 Test Live CD some time ago,
>> and this does not boot on any machine I've tried it on.
>
> Same experience here :-( However, turns out it was a boneheaded mistake
> on my part for not reading the "Release Notes" first. The PC needs 1Gb
> of RAM in order to run the live CD. I have no PC here that meets that
> spec. Do any of your PCs meet that spec?

No, I don't think any of my many machines have 1GB of RAM.
I confess that I didn't read the Release Notes - life is too short -
but if a live CD really expects the user to have this much RAM
there should be a large WARNING to that effect on the download page.
Also it shouldn't be too difficult for the distribution
to work out how much RAM the host machine has,
and explain gently why the CD is not going to boot.
So I would assign fault for this: me 20%, Fedora 80%.

Why does Fedora need much more RAM than Ubuntu, anyway?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366