Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Stefan Held obi at unixkiste.org
Sat Mar 17 16:23:39 UTC 2007

Am Samstag, den 17.03.2007, 11:36 -0400 schrieb Brian Porter:
> I can see why Ubuntu is gaining popularity.

Hi Brian,

> I have a decent set of lab of machines at home: two AMD-64s, two AMD XPs
> and a Pentium III. All the machines have a fairly broad set of hardware
> (ATI, nVidia, 3Dfx, 3ware, e.t.c.) I recently tried Ubuntu 6.10's
> desktop and server installations on my lab systems and was extremely
> impressed. Ubuntu's installation is an absolute BREEZE compared to
> Fedora Core 5/6. With Fedora, I've had installer problems with virtually
> every single Fedora install (i.e. sometimes it works, sometimes it
> doesn't, media checks fine and I don't change a single setting between
> installs). On the other hand, Ubuntu 6.10 installed without a single
> hitch on each and every machine on the first attempt. I am extremely
> impressed!

Well. Ubuntu is also missing severall features right now which
Fedora/Redhat has included by default. (Selinux, Xen) Maybe your issues
are with these?

> I am very excited about Ubuntu as I now see the day I can fully wean my
> extended family from Microsoft. I still use Fedora for my home "servers"
> but I've got Ubuntu running so I can learn how to support it. As soon as
> I feel comfortable with Ubuntu, I will be switching my family members
> from Microsoft Windows.

No rant, no hate, even not a but Fedora is better Email.

Just between the Two of us, what can Ubuntu provide what Fedora does not
have?

I have _personally_ the opinion that using a distribution is build on
the same fact as the discussion about vim and emacs.

1.) You know the Distribution since a few years.
    You know the toolchain, you know where configs are.

This means you get things done very quickly.

2.) It is allways a thing about personal taste.
    Some Users like it this or the other way. (Gnome & KDE)
    (If you are a KDE Lover, in my opinion, Fedora is not the right
     Choice for you. Others are happy with that)

I am in a position (i know Gnu/Linux and Unix a few years now) where it
is not easy for me to criticise anyone. You should do one task:

Try to build your own Linux from Scratch Version and try also to make it
distributable. If you try something like that you get a feeling what
awfull job it is to do that and how impressive good all of the
Distributions nowadays fullfill this task.

Just my 2 Cents.

--

 Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
 obi unixkiste org              The first one is for beeping all the time,