"Nothing to be done for bzImage..."

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 21 11:09:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Jeff Mutonho wrote:

> On 3/20/07, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:

> > > There is a file called README in the top level of the kernel sources.
> > >
> > > % grep make README
> > >
> > > always shows the same sequence for building a kernel
> > >
> > > make mrproper or make oldconfig
> > > make (choose configurator)
> > > make
> > > sudo make modules_install install
> > >
> > > Examination of the makefile should show that there is not a target called
> > > bzImage.
> >
> > But there used to be.  Sounds like someone either has old instructions or
> > has not upgraded their memories on kernel building.

once again, the "bzImage" target is not a generic kernel-building
target, it is i386-specific, which is why it can be found in
arch/i386/boot/Makefile and not in the top-level Makefile.

it most definitely *does* exist.  simply typing "make bzImage" should
have established that.  "make help" would have demonstrated it as
well.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA