DNS resolution problem

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Mar 21 14:14:00 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> One dirty hack tip I have on that, if you decide you will be managing
>> /etc/resolv.conf by hand and everything else can just butt out, edit

> There is a checkbox somewhere in the network setup GUI where you select
> DHCP that determines whether or not you install the DNS servers offered
> by the DHCP response.  I think I recall seeing some issues with it in
> some versions but that should be all it takes.

Sure, if dhcp client is the only thing wanting to mess with your
resolv.conf.  But for example I have one of these that I didn't create,
and doesn't seem to be to do with dhcp:

/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf

immutable is going to ensure you manage resolv.conf manually no matter
what (from a growing list, apparently) decides it knows better.  If
that's not what is desired don't use this selfproclaimed dirty hack.

-Andy