emacs problem

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Mar 21 15:52:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 11:00:25AM +0530, François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I have a problem with Emacs and as I ask the question on usenet emacs
> lists and as other people using other linux distro do not have this
> problem, I ask my question here:
>
> 1- Clipboard: it seems that there is a specific clipboard for Emacs
> under Fedora/Gnome; I am unable to copy something from any other
> application and paste it in emacs. It is always the last thing
> copied/cut *in* emacs which is pasted in emacs whatever you could have
> selected and copied in other windows (say: terminal, acroread...)

Emacs has its own clipboard, a ring buffer. The top item in emacs'
ring buffer is supposed to also be the clipboard entry for X. For
example, I just went to a gnome terminal, highlighted some text, and
returned to emacs. With C-Y, I had the text in emacs.

I've occasionally had problems moving text between Acroread or
OpenOffice.org and Emacs, but they do weird things with their
clipboard code. My workaround is to shut both applications down and
restart them. To make life easier, look into desktop mode for emacs
(desktop.el).

> 2- The dead key circumflex/trema of my french keyboard is not working in
> Emacs: the sequence ^a doesn't give � but a (same with ^e,^i,...).

Emacs has its own text entry methods. You may want to look into leim,
the Library of Emacs Input Methods. "yum install emacs-leim".