Unable to boot latest kernel.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:12:18 UTC 2007

On 19/03/07, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Last night I updated FC6 and got a new kernel. It will not boot: it
> > gets to the VMWare stage and sticks there.
>
> Do you have dkms installed and trying to build a new vmware module or
> something?

I think that it is installed, based on the amount of finds from "locate dkms".

> > I could boot my old kernel (2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6), so I have a
> > working system, but I thought that the list should know.
>
> Try to disable the vmware service from starting and see if you can
> boot then.  Do this as root to disable vmware from starting:
>
> chkconfig vmware off
>
> After you can boot into the new kernel, try running the vmware config
> program and let it build new modules (or attempt to, the process may
> fail and that'd be a separate issue).

Interestingly, I just now booted into 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 and it started
just fine. Even the VMWare service started, and I had not run the
update script.

> > Should I file a bug?
>
> Not with the fedora bugzilla unless the problem happens when vmware
> isn't in the mix. :)

If the problem persists than I will file a bug with VMWare. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/lyrics/13/402/pink_floyd/animals.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/google.html