NFS connections irregular

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Mar 22 01:01:15 UTC 2007

Simon Slater <pyevet at aapt.net.au> wrote:

> 	I have 3 computers A, B & C connected through an hub. B is a file
> server running FC1, A & C have new installs of FC6. A & C can mount
> shares on B.  However showmount -e gives:
>
> # mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered
>
> from B to either of A or C; from C to A; A to C or itself.
>
> 	The mount -t nfs C:/share /mnt command from A returns:
>
> # mount: mount to NFS server 'C' failed: System Error: No route to host.
>
> similarly fron C to A.  Yet from server B the same command to either A
> or C returns:
>
> # mount: RPC: Remote system error - no route to host.
>
> 	Each box can ping the others, the /etc/hosts and /etc/exports files
> seem to be in order.  What am I missing?
>
> Regards
> Simon Slater
NFS of FC1 vintage would probably still be using UDP.  Not sure if NFS
over TCP was even an option.  Check your firewall rules on B to see what
it does with UDP packets.  Ditto for A and C since B could be accepting
the packets but A and C throw them away at their firewall.  tracepath
(like traceroute but for UDP packets) may give you some additional
information.

It sounds like B has been around for a while and A and C are relatively
new installs.  Is this the case?  Did this just come up when A and C got
an FC6 install?

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce