Install on server with NO floppy/CD

Adam Hough adam at gradientzero.com
Thu Mar 22 13:49:00 UTC 2007

There are a few ways to do this. But they all involve having a network
connected machine and another machine that can serve out the isos or
rpms is some fashion.  I personally have just use http.

I also setup kickstart file that will setup everything for me.

First method is pxe booting the machine.   You will need a dhcp server
and a tftp server to boot the machine this way.  If you take this route,
go take a look at a program named cobbler.

Another way to get an OS on the machine is to remove the drives of the
machines and install an OS on the drives from another machine.

Another way is go buy a cdrom drive or borrow one from another machine
and temporarily put the cdrom drive in each machine and use it to
install.

Anoter option is to try and boot from a usb device either the external
cdrom drive you have or from a USB memory stick.

Adam Hough <adam at gradientzero.com>