Xorg Issues and KDM/GDM

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 11:28:02 UTC 2007

Hi

I've just installed FC6 into my own workstation.

Most things are working fine except for X-windows which is doing all kinds
of strange things.  My /etc/X11/xorg.conf is below.  Altering the depth and
modes doesn't have any effect.  I have made sure that things like KDM and
kdeinit exist.  Klauncher does not work at all or it is intermittent.
Output from kdeinit run from the command line can be seen below.

At start up neither hte GDM or the KMD login screen comes up on the screen.
There is just a black screen.  I have to do 'startx' on the command line to
get an X-window session to start.   Furthermore, if I try to set a screen
saver or the screen lock X-windows falls off the screen and a command line
startx has to be be done once again.  KDE 3.5.6 and Gnome

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this so that either a GDM or KDM login
screen comes up when I boot the machine ?

Output of /usr/bin/kdeinit:

DCOP: register 'klauncher' -> number of clients is now 1
kdeinit: opened connection to :0.0
DCOP: new daemon klauncher
Could not load library! Trying exec....
kdeinit: Launched KDED, pid = 26845 result = 0
DCOP: register 'kded' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: unregister 'kded'
DCOP: register 'kded' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: register 'anonymous-26845' -> number of clients is now 2
kdeinit: Got EXT_EXEC 'kbuildsycoca' from launcher.
Could not load library! Trying exec....
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed
DCOP: register 'kbuildsycoca' -> number of clients is now 3
kbuildsycoca running...
DCOP: register 'anonymous-26847' -> number of clients is now 4
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-26847'
DCOP: unregister 'kbuildsycoca'
kdeinit: PID 26847 terminated.
kdeinit: Got EXEC_NEW 'kconf_update' from launcher.
Could not load library! Trying exec....
kdeinit: PID 26848 terminated.
DCOP: new daemon kded
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-26845'
kdeinit: PID 26845 terminated.

--
Richard

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "Relisys RE772"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    30.0 - 72.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 150.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1152x864" "1152x768" "1024x768" "800 x 600"
        EndSubSection
EndSection