sendmail : mail not delivered

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Mar 24 02:01:53 UTC 2007

Felipe Nunez wrote:

> As I I don't know that much about how is it that someone can get to send mail
> from a  blacklisted  IP address?  I'm connected to the internet through an
> ISP and the ip I used, I supposed, is supplied from them.
>
>   In other words, what have I done wrong ? How do I get to not using
> felipe at bizet.sys.linux as mi mail-address if just bizet.sys.linux is the name
> of my computer ?
>
> FN

You need to do two things:

First, set up sendmail to relay outgoing mail through your ISP's
mail server. (relay host)

Second, configure sendmail to rewrite the return address on outgoing
mail to a valid email address. (gatopardo at codetel.net.do)

How easy or hard it will be depends on your ISP, and if you have
more then one email address you want to use when sending.

But do you need to send mail using sendmail on your system? Or would
having cron messages, and other system generated messages come to a
local account, and letting your mail clients deal directly with your
ISP's mail server be a better choice for you?

Mikkel