Updating to Firefox 2 from Remi's repository (on x86_64)

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 04:08:36 UTC 2007

Hi all,

With all the recent discussion about Firefox 2, I thought I would try
installing it on my FC6 x86_64 box.  I seem to have run into a snag
that I have not seen anyone else mention anything about.  As I was
writing this, I figured out what the issue was.  Well, I might as well
write this up in case it might help someone else :-).

I installed the x86_64 RPM to setup Remi's repo
(http://remi.collet.free.fr/) and tried updating firefox and got this:
$ sudo yum --enablerepo=remi update firefox
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================| 1.2 kB    00:00
remi                      100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
livna                     100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================|  20 kB    00:00
remi      : ################################################## 61/61
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package firefox.x86_64 0:2.0.0.3-1.fc6.remi set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libxpcom.so for package: devhelp
--> Processing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.10 for package: devhelp
--> Processing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.10 for package: yelp
--> Processing Dependency: libgtkembedmoz.so for package: devhelp
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package devhelp.x86_64 0:0.12-11.fc6.remi set to be updated
---> Package yelp.x86_64 0:2.16.0-13.fc6.remi set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libxpcom.so for package: devhelp
--> Processing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.10 for package: devhelp
--> Processing Dependency: libgtkembedmoz.so for package: devhelp
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libxpcom.so for package: devhelp
--> Processing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.10 for package: devhelp
--> Processing Dependency: libgtkembedmoz.so for package: devhelp
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
--> Running transaction check
Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
Error: Package devhelp needs libxpcom.so, this is not available.
Error: Package devhelp needs gecko-libs = 1.8.0.10, this is not available.
Error: Package devhelp needs libgtkembedmoz.so, this is not available.

It turns out that (as is often the case with the cryptic yum error
messages) this means that the currently installed devhelp package
needs those libraries.  This is supposed to be fixed by the devhelp
package in Remi's repository.  Well, it turns out the conflict was
with the i386 version of devhelp (too bad yum didn't tell my that
explicitly...).  Checking with RPM, I had both installed.  Figuring
that I did not need the i386 version, I ran "sudo rpm -e devhelp.i386"
and now attempting to update firefox does not error out (well I have
not installed it yet, but it gets to the "Is this ok" prompt).

One strange thing about this is that I manually created an i386
version of the repo so I could update both architectures of Firefox
(since I am currently using the 32-bit version for Flash).  Still yum
did not figure out to grab the devhelp.i386 package.  Oh well,
shouldn't matter now.  Now to go see if it will actually install :-).

Jonathan