Where are file associations set/stored?

List Mail cl at isbd.net
Mon Mar 26 13:28:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 10:03:35PM +0930, Tim wrote:
> Claus Reheis:
> >> Why don't you just tell us what DE you use! :)
>

> Chris Green:
> > Because it is totally irrelevant to the question, I use fvwm2 as my
> > window manager.
>
> It mightn't be, some file browsers might use their own internal
> preferences system.  Instead of, or in addition to otherwise set
> options.  I seem to recall that long ago, /etc/mailcap was one such
> place to set handlers for certain file types (based on MIME
> descriptions).

... but a "file browser" has nothing to do with it, I'm not using one
to look at the file.  I did look in my 'local' mailcap, I'd forgotten
about /etc/mailcap (thanks) but there's very little in there.

> You could try searching through config files for something that mentions
> a filetype you already know about (e.g. JPEGs or text/plain).  Or
> running a trace while you try to open a file by double clicking on it in
> a file browser, to see what configuration files it uses.

Yes, I tried that, looking for the application it *is* calling but
found nothing useful.

Maybe it's something that mutt is doing by default but I thought mutt
was pretty standards-aware and would use normal mechanisms.

--
Chris Green