Suggestions to avoid openoffice package name conflicts?

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Wed Mar 28 15:25:13 UTC 2007

I like to keep both the official Fedora OpenOffice.org and the latest
stable RPMs from www.openoffice.org installed. The problem is that
recent Fedora updates have consistently _removed_ some of oo.org rpms, I
assume because some of the package names are the same.

Is there any way I might convince the Fedora updates to only remove the
packages they actually update, and not every package on the system with
the same name?

I can't think of anything, as I assume yum is simply calling "rpm -U"
and the removal of already installed packages is built-in to rpm. But
I'm hoping you guys may have a bright idea.

Alternately, is there any way to install the oo.org rpms with different
names--a prefix or something? The versions are always different but
apparently that's not enough.

<Joe