umask

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Thu Mar 29 20:59:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 16:17 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> I wrote:
> > It seems that you could add a umask call in /etc/profile or ~/.profile
>
> I read too fast and didn't double check that.  The gdm defaults from
> upstream source /etc/profile and/or ~/.profile but the default as
> shipped with Fedora doesn't seem to do so.
>
> You could add the umask call to the Xsession script in /etc/gdm (a
> symlink to /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession) to apply it to all users or you
> could add it to your personal startup script.  I forget what all
> scripts are tried anymore, I've got my startup stuff in ~/.xsession.

I tried what you suggested, and in a few other files in /etc/X11
and /etc/gdm, but nothing worked.  My custom umask was ignored each and
every time.  Guess I'll have to wait for a new Gnome in Fedora before
this gets fixed.

BTW, that bug history is a joke.  It's been open for two years, and
typical of Gnome devs, they were discussing if the user really cares to
have such a feature.  Holy shit.

Anyway, it's annoying as hell, so hopefully it's fixed soon.  I now have
to figure out a work around.

Regards,

Ranbir

--