why does the system often get restarted automaticlly?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Mar 30 14:26:53 UTC 2007

yz wang wrote:

> Hardware of my computer: Pentium 4 cpu 3.20GHz, RAM 2.00GB, Monitor NVIDIA
> GeForce FX 5600, two 80GB harddisks, one with windows and one  with fc6.
> 3D desktop is off.
> It often crashes or restarts. The latest restarting occurs while only 3 web
> browsers are open. How can I solve this problem? Thanks!
I initially had some instabilities on two different systems running FC6:

On my desktop (older dual Athlon 2400+), I had to remove the 3D
xscreensavers.  The system would randomly crash X (could still ssh in
but keyboard and mouse went with X).  The system has been stable ever since.

My laptop dies with a kernel panic within 24 hours of bringing up the
wireless interface which uses ndiswrapper.  The system is stable otherwise.

Don't know if either of these fit your situation.  It sounds like you
still have Windoze on your system.  Is it stable running Windoze?  That
would tend to rule out a hardware failure as other have suggested
although you could have some hardware that doesn't play well with Linux.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce