Checking download stream speed

Brian Porter brian at miatar.org
Sat Mar 31 11:16:20 UTC 2007

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> How can I know whether my modem/router is synchronized at 8Mbps for
> download stream?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

The bandwidth test sites mentioned offer a decent method of testing
Internet connection performance. As mentioned, other network traffic
will interfere with your results so I'd recommend you average out
several tests over a few days (and at different times). I do this when
testing changes to my firewall/router. I'm not really interested in
maximum speeds just the average.

Comcast, my ISP, advertises 8Mbps down but I typically see 6Mbps down
(and 390kbps up). I intend to call them to make sure I'm receiving their
"fastest" service as they've added speed tiers to their Internet
offering. (long after I was a subscriber)

As for synchronization et cetera. I have a Motorola SB5100 from Comcast.
It's diagnostic interface is accessible by pointing a web browser to
192.168.100.1. The only relevant information I can see from these web
pages includes signal-to-noise, power level and error logs. Google your
make/model cable modem for information on how to access it's diagnostic
info.

HTH,
-Brian