Is there an application that...

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Mar 31 18:05:59 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 19:02 -0600, David G. Miller wrote:
>
>> > Is there an application or method (e.g., command the drive to "play
>> > audio") that lets me spin an audio CD in my CDROM drive and listen via
>> > headphones plugged into the drive's audio jack?
>> >
>> > The speaker setup I have plugged into my primary desktop does not
>> > provide a bypass audio jack.  Unfortunately, this means I need to become
>> > a hermit and close up my office if I want to listen to tunes while my
>> > wife watches the tube.  I find the sound quality acceptable using the
>> > audio jack on the CDROM but I need a way to spin the disk and NOT have
>> > the sound come out the sound card.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Dave
>>
> What stops you from plugging a headphone into the output jack of your
> audio card.
It's a traditional system so the sound card is on the back of the case
which sits in a desk and is a royal pain to get to.  That's the one down
side of having a desk with a specific spot for a system.  cdplay seems
to fit the bill.  I can spin CDs and listen using the drive's audio
jack.  I just mute the sound card.  If I don't need to be under the
headphones, I just un-mute the sound with no contortions trying to reach
the back of the computer case.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce