FC6 (&7) netboot - (Stateless Linux maybe?)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue May 1 01:43:39 UTC 2007

Stefan van der Eijk wrote:

>> Wait a second! Where does it state that the fedora Project offer a
>> diskless client. It is certainly not listed in their download section.

There was a lot of talk early within the Fedora lists (Maybe during
FC3). The talk was about Stateless Linux and has a list as below.

> Hmmm. strange, as the software I was trying to use is part of fedora's
> main (or is it called core?) distro. Check:
>
> http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/6/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/system-config-netboot-0.1.41-1.FC6.noarch.rpm
>

> or I must be mistaken that this not part of the fedora project.
> Perhaps you can explain it to me, I'm new here.

Welcome to the distribution. I tried some of your steps when trying to
rsync an IDE installation to a SATA disk so your attempts which are more
descriptive as to the steps taken to get to the progress level you are
at (or the other take, with all the obstacles you encountered)

You can explore the list since it is not heavily tried by a lot of
people to have stateless Linux. It looks like there are a lot of RH
employees on the list who might answer your questions. I know nothing in
detail about the project except the sales pitches from the development
lists that I read when stateless Linux was first introduced to the
Fedora list.

--
An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.