Fedora7 or Fedora ? (Progressive installation?)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue May 1 02:16:08 UTC 2007

clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> With Fedora7 being released within a month, I would like to ask where
> the discussion of Fedora 'N' becoming just Fedora that was going on a
> month or two ago went.
>
> I find it irritating (if not impossible) to have to reinstall with each new
> release of Fedora, and having an OS that could be continuously updated
> would be a real plus.  I realize that during 'initial' development this is
> difficult, but since we are at '7' it seems that Fedora should be as smart
> as other distributions that CAN do continuous updates.
>
> So, what happened to that discussion?

I agree with you that a progressive and evolutionary path should be
available to upgrade from one short lived version to the next short life
cycle release. I don't like the install clean with each new release
which some highly recommend as being the best course.
However those hovering around with installations several release version
back and then wanting to jump to the current or soon to be released
versions will surely have problems. The time span would be too great and
even proprietary OSes would have problems within the lengthened gap in
progression and the fast pace of technological changes that came along
the way since the previous snapshot version of the OS was stopped from
continued support.
An alternative and almost "progressive" distribution is development
which is a lot more stable with yum as the update retrieval agent and
other tools to stabilize the package introduction. (Yum and mock)
Anyway, I have two issues with development and they are supposed to be
resolved but the packages are not yest available. (dual display and disk
geometry).

Anyway, as stated in the past by myself, being able to just pull in the
updates, get opportunities to add new technological items to previous
versions would be so much easier to deal with as a user. (A what's new
package group of some sort). I know that the developer side of the
equation might not be so smooth as the user mode utopia though.

File an RFE and I'd add myself to the Request for Enhancement bug
report. Of course I was ignored or shot down in postings before on
mailing lists. I never filed a report on the issue however.

Jim

--
An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.