I need some help.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 1 04:39:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 22:25 -0500, Art Giles wrote:
> Pete I did like you said but it dose not want to hold I had it at
> 800X600 it was set at 1600X1200. How can I get it to stay at the
> 800X600?

Gnome users, at least, can set a "preference" for the "screen
resolution" that'll be used when they log in.  I suspect KDE provides
something similar, as well.

That does seem to stick (when choosing something less than maximum),
compared to configuring X, which tends to automatically reconfigure at
each boot time, unless you manually set a monitor.

One way to reconfigure X:

      * Use CTRL ALT F1 to get to a text console.
      * Login as root.
      * Run "telinit 3" to stop X.
      * Run "system-config-display --reconfig" to start configuring X
        afresh.
      * Select a monitor type, pick a generic one if you can't find your
        own monitor.  Also pick the highest resolution you want to be
        offered.  "Okay" away the requester.
      * Run "telinit 5" to restart X and check whether the configuration
        worked.  Sometimes you pick screen modes that won't work with
        you monitor.  You should be able CTRL ALT + or - (that's the
        number pad + or -) to swap between some modes on the fly, to see
        what you're doing.
      * If it didn't work, go back to CTRL ALT F1, telinit 3 again,
        reconfigure X again with different options.  Rinse, lather,
        repeat...
      * If it did work, go back to CTRL ALT F1 and log out.  You don't
        want root left logged in.  You should be able to get back to the
        graphical system with CTRL ALT F7 (might be F8, if you ended up
        running two X sessions).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.