udev causing "Cannot Display the Video Mode" on flat panel

Edward DeMeulle ed at demeulle.org
Tue May 1 15:38:40 UTC 2007

After fresh installing Fedora 6 just after udev starts the screen goes
blank and displays the above message. Neither setting runlevel 3 in GRUB
nor Ctrl-Alt-F1,F2, etc. restore the screen. I do have ssh access and
can even do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and blindly login. So now what? Apparently udev
is either causing the video card to set itself to an unusual mode or
it's forcing it to use the DVI port (I'm bringing a cable home to test
this, but I want to use VGA for my KVM switch). Video card is an ATI
Rage 128. I've read through the udev literature for a bit and am trying
to understand it's workings. Does anyone have any tips that might speed
up the resolution of this problem?

--
Edward DeMeulle <ed at demeulle.org>