To Internet-install or not to...

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed May 2 17:25:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 12:40:46AM +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> Have anyone any experience with this method of installation? If I
> install from a DVD, then most of the packages would be updated from the
> internet anyway, so why not start there?

I do this all the time. If you have a fast connection, go for it.

> I'd like to know what those 'reliability concerns' are, though. Pro and
> cons, anyone? :-)

If your connection drops mid-install, you have to start over. This is
annoying for fresh installs, and leaves a hosed system for upgrades.

Additionally, there's currently no signature checking in the installer, so
you have to trust your FTP mirror.